May 25, 2008

faith

So, this weekend hasn't been as tough as I initially thought it would be. Thursday night I broke up with my boyfriend of almost 3 years. We've broken up before but this time, it just feels like it's really over and yes, I'm sad. Very sad. Like I said in my previous post; I almost feel relieved. You see, we're different people. Extremely different people. Our love languages are completely different. I'm a "say-er" I say what I feel and I'm very passionate about words and expressing your love with words and telling your partner just how much you care for them, love them, how much they mean to you etc. He's a "do-er". He thinks if he "does" this or if he "does" that, he is expressing his love, commitment, caring, etc. Don't get me wrong; doing is great. Some people would love to be with a do-er. I, on the other hand need more. I've been trying to deal with it, I've accepted the fact that we are two different people who are essentially striving to make 1 relationship work and I've tried very hard to take a step back and look at our relationship and my actions and attitude from a different perspective. I've even taken the initiative to change certain things about myself with hopes that maybe it will improve the relationship. On Thursday night, I found out that he lied to me. I will admit, it wasn't a huge nasty lie, he wasn't unfaithful or anything like that but he lied to me about something. I didn't find out from him. I found out through a mutual friend and I think the Lord wanted me to find out that way. I think he wanted to show me that maybe those feelings that I've ignored no longer should be ignored. Maybe me changing myself would NEVER change him or the relationship. I don't lie to him. I would never lie to him and big or small, a lie is a lie. Some of my girlfriends think that I'm overreacting a tad bit but I think if a person lies about something so insignificant; the chances of them lying about something important are greater. Trust is everything and what little trust I had was thrown out the window because of that one lie. Throughout this "rough patch" in our relationship, I've thought time and time again about breaking up but, I was scared. I didn't want to do it, didn't want to accept the fact that I had failed at making the relationship work and more importantly I wasn't (and I'm still not) ready to start a life that doesn't involve L. I didn't wanna say goodbye to him, to his family and to US. Throughout this entire relationship I have not walked by faith; instead I have always walked by sight. Don't get me wrong, I've always prayed to the Lord about our relationship. I've prayed that L will accept Christ into his life. I've prayed that the Lord would turn him into the man I wanted him to be because I truly thought he was my best friend. I loved spending time with him and laughing and joking with him. I loved talking about our future and envisioning our life together but, the closer I became with the Lord the more our relationship suffered. Last week I decided to stop. Stop trying to make it work. Stop trying to fix everything. I decided to have faith in Him and his doings. 4 days later, we broke up.

What good is faith if you walk by sight? I have all the faith in the Lord but still, I try to fix things totally beyond my control. I fear a situation that I ultimately have no control over. I didn't want to give my relationship and all it's woes to God because I knew His plan for it may not be the same as my plan for it...or what I hoped it would be and so, my relationship remained the same; until I gave it to God. I do have faith in the Lord. I know that he is an awesome God and that he loves me more than I could ever imagine. However, having faith in Him in terms of my relationship with L meant that I could no longer be afraid of letting go. Today during our
IHP service, Pastor Aury explained that having faith and being put through trying circumstances/relationships/experiences/tests is similar to going to school. Before you are promoted to a higher level, you must take a test. You take this test to see what you know, what you don't know, what you're prepared for etc. God puts you through these life circumstances/relationships/experiences/tests not to hurt you or bring you down or to lessen your faith in Him. This is His way of showing me, what I was prepared for, what I wasn't prepared for. What I was good at in this relationship, where I needed improvement, what I like in mate, what I don't like, what I need in my future mate etc.

In order for me to close this chapter in my life and move forward, I needed to have faith in Him. I needed to surrender this relationship to him. It will hurt and some days will be harder than others. Sometimes I'll regret this decision. Sometimes I'll cry out to him and ask why it hurts so bad. Some days I won't remember the bad things, I'll just remember the good things. But, my faith in the Lord allows me to see that I'm actually being promoted. I will have my first heartbreak under my belt and I'll move on to the next chapter of life.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight"2 Corinthians 5:7

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. i'm sorry for your heartbreak but commend you on being able to speak about it and see it in a positive way and your ability to trust in a power greater than yourself. there will be hard days but from what i can see about you you seem like you're a tough cookie that is up for it and will come out on top.

Katelyn said...

I know ending that relationship was hard, and I won't act like I know how you feel, but please believe me that I am proud of you, as silly as that may sound. Trusting in God is difficult and sometimes we are called to do things we don't necessarily are OK with at the time. I always go back to this verse when I become anxious about what is happening or what will happen:

'There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.' Ecclesiastes 3:1

I know you'll be blessed by your decisions and actions.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog some how some way and I am so thankful that I did. Your words have really helped me because I am going through a similar situation. It hurts so bad (and I'm even crying as I type this) but your strong demonstration of faith in GOD has definitely helped re-awaken mine. I officially let go...and let GOD. Thank you!!! I pray we both get through our "first heartbreaks" to become stronger and better women. =)

Anonymous said...

faith is such an integral part of our lives in order to lead the life GOD has planned for us. sometimes, i still struggle with surrendering to an all loving and all powerful GOD because resisting seems so much easier than surrendering. however, GOD has mercifully blessed me each and everytime ive stumbled. i know he resides in me and everyone else despite our wavering trust and faith in him.

thank you for such an inspiring post. in times of uncertainty and doubt i always go back to this verse:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Britney said...

@ Kay, yes, I am a strong cookie (at least that's what i keep telling myself).
@ Katelyn I am glad that at least one person is proud of me. I too know that there are blessings to come because of these decisions. The hard part is waiting.
@ Suzie i find comfort in knowing i'm not the only one. we WILL get over this stage and we WILL become stronger women!
@ AM, i LOVE that verse and throughout this whole ordeal i hadn't thought about it at all. Thank you for bringing it back to my attention.

Rachel said...

Hi my friend,

Can I add my name to the list of people who are proud of you? I am thinking of you and praying for you during this tough time. Also...I hope this will be encouraging... but I wanted to let you know that I saw ALOT of maturity in your post. I can just imagine Jesus holding you through this and growing you in the direction he wants you to grow. Please keep us posted in how you are doing...

love to you sister,
Rachel