blog-friends, i need some help/advice or maybe i just need to get this all out. i've recently found myself in a weird situation. a situation that shouldn't be weird, but it is and now i'm sorta confused. my best friend is dating a guy; she has been dating him for almost a year and since they've started dating our groups have sorta merged. we don't hang out with him and his friends ALL the time but we do hang out with them often and our girl group has sorta become friends with his guy group. so, back in May my friend ashlee celebrated her b-day @ a club and of course, Matt (the guy that my bestie is dating) and his friends came to the party. After the party, we sorta had an after party at my besties house and Ashlee (the b-day girl) and R, (Matt's best friend) hooked up. Now, my definition of hookin' up may be different than yours so i'll get a lil' more detailed; basically they made out for about a good 30 mins before someone walked in on them and ended all action. So, Ashlee and R hooked up that night and after that I never heard anything about them hanging out, going on a date, talking or anything like that. This R guy is very flirtatious. He flirts with all of us girls and honestly, I don't even consider it flirting because I know that's just his character. He and I have a special relationship though; we constantly bicker. He always picks on me about EVERYTHING and so I give him a hard time which leads to us always debating over something. R knows that I have a boyfriend in fact, he came to my birthday party and he met my boyfriend and they actually sorta hung out that night. I have no interest in R whatsoever and he has no interest in me either. I think he's hilarious, he's fun to hang out with and whenever we're all together I cannot stop laughing. So that's the background to the story and here's the story:
A couple of weekends ago My bestie, Ashlee & myself decided to join Matt and his boys at the beach. We all drove in one car and met everyone else there at the beach house. We get to the beach house and R stays at the house to work on his personal statement for the MCAT. We're at the beach for a couple of hours and when we return R asks me to read his personal statement and give him my opinion. So I do. We all hang out for a bit and then we leave and this is were things get ugly. On the way home R and I of course got into a heated discussion about something (honestly, i can't even remember what it was about) and we're talking and of course everyone is chiming in (except Ashlee). mind you, we're in an BMW X5-- not the most spacious car--and R is seating between Ashlee and myself. R asks me for my phone number and at first i hesitate because a) i have a boyfriend and b) i didn't want ashlee to get the wrong idea. so i asked him, why do you want my number and he says, "to talk about my paper. i'm going to send you the final after i make all the corrections" he also says, "i would never disrespect L (my boyfriend), so don't worry". So i give it to him. I continue going through pictures in his phone and that was that. We all get home and i can immediately tell that something is wrong with Ashlee. I ask her if she's good (because she had been drinking) and she said she was. We all say our goodbyes and my bestie and i of course start re-capping the day. She told me that Ashlee had mentioned to her that she couldn't believe that R was acting that way towards me while she was around. I asked my bestie her opinion and she agreed with me, he wasn't flirting that's just his personality. I dropped it, never brought it up again because really, it all seemed childish. R aim'd me later that night and told me that Ashlee was really upset with him and he didn't understand why. we kinda joked about it and then we changed the subject.
A couple of weekends ago My bestie, Ashlee & myself decided to join Matt and his boys at the beach. We all drove in one car and met everyone else there at the beach house. We get to the beach house and R stays at the house to work on his personal statement for the MCAT. We're at the beach for a couple of hours and when we return R asks me to read his personal statement and give him my opinion. So I do. We all hang out for a bit and then we leave and this is were things get ugly. On the way home R and I of course got into a heated discussion about something (honestly, i can't even remember what it was about) and we're talking and of course everyone is chiming in (except Ashlee). mind you, we're in an BMW X5-- not the most spacious car--and R is seating between Ashlee and myself. R asks me for my phone number and at first i hesitate because a) i have a boyfriend and b) i didn't want ashlee to get the wrong idea. so i asked him, why do you want my number and he says, "to talk about my paper. i'm going to send you the final after i make all the corrections" he also says, "i would never disrespect L (my boyfriend), so don't worry". So i give it to him. I continue going through pictures in his phone and that was that. We all get home and i can immediately tell that something is wrong with Ashlee. I ask her if she's good (because she had been drinking) and she said she was. We all say our goodbyes and my bestie and i of course start re-capping the day. She told me that Ashlee had mentioned to her that she couldn't believe that R was acting that way towards me while she was around. I asked my bestie her opinion and she agreed with me, he wasn't flirting that's just his personality. I dropped it, never brought it up again because really, it all seemed childish. R aim'd me later that night and told me that Ashlee was really upset with him and he didn't understand why. we kinda joked about it and then we changed the subject.
This all blew me away because it's so not Ashlee's character (or so i thought). She's dating a guy right now, so all of this just came out of the blue to me because, a) I honestly didn't think that R was flirting and b) had no clue she had any interest in R like that. I mean, I knew they hooked up that one time but I had never heard her mention anything about him after that. The morning after the beach i text her to make light of the situation, and i told her that i was aware that she was upset but that she was really trippin because I have no interest in R and he has none in me. I told her that we can barely stand one another and that's just how he is. She replies with "i'm over it". After that text, i'm not even gonna lie, i was a tad bit upset because i already felt like the situation was super childish and i tried to make light of it and she came back with a smart remark. But, I kept it pushin. didn't let it get to me. The next day Matt, my bestie, R and I all took a cycling class together. Ashlee comes in about half an hour late and only says hi to my bestie. After the class, she only talks to my bestie. I shake immediately because if i do stay around i'm probably going to say the wrong thing and that would just be all bad.
i haven't talked to her since the "i'm over it" text which isn't that out of the norm. an incident happened about a month ago where my bestie and i went with her to retrieve some of her stuff from her ex's house. he ended up getting physical with my best friend and myself and he broke my blackberry so, that sorta tainted my view of her. not because of what he did but because of some things i learned about her during and after that whole fiasco. so, since that happened i haven't really been talking to her regularly. but, i have been talking to R on a daily basis and that's what makes the situation weird. we all hung out (minus ashlee) on Saturday night and my bestie didn't want to tell Ashlee because she didn't want her to get mad and that's what makes the situation just ridiculous to me. If you honestly think that I cannot be friends with someone you hooked up with or have interest in you're crazy. Especially when you're dating someone else. I'm an adult and I decide who I will and won't be friends with and if you're threatened by me being his friend, i'm sorry but that's a personal problem. She keeps telling everyone, I'm not mad at her, i'm mad at him and I really want to tell her that I don't care who she's mad at; she's acting like a child. But, I haven't and I probably won't only because I don't want to make things akward for the rest of our friends and i'm trying to have a better attitude.
Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong? Should I really not hang out with him or be his friend because she gets upset about it? I don't think I would ever hang out with him one on one, but we do go out as a group and I do consider him a friend. The funny thing is, this whole situation has totally opened my eyes to the fact that maybe, her and I don't need to be friends. That may seem harsh but recently her actions have just been so ridiculous--that's another post in itself though. I just feel like the only reason I am her friend is because she's my bestie's friend and she sorta just joined our group. I don't think i'd ever be her friend outside of our group. Who she is is just not me. But really, do your friends have to be exactly like you? no, but shouldn't you be similar? I dunno. I guess I'll figure it all out one day. For now, I'll just take it day by day. Her actions don't affect me personally and I'm really not bothered by her being upset about this. I think it's lame and that's about it. I mean seriously, i'm not in the 6th grade and this just seems so juvenile to me.
Sorry for going on and on. I just woke up with this whole situation on the brain. If you read all this, you're amazing. Share your thoughts, I'm curious to know if I'm being a crappy friend or if she's just out of her mind.

9 comments:
first, i'll be honest and say i ready about 85% lol.
okay, seriously, the whole thing is a bit childish. like you said they are not dating - she has a boyfriend, and even if she didn't it doesn't mean you can't be the guys friend. if it's in his nature to be flirtatious and you all know that - what's the big deal i say? you enjoy his company and have no intentions of getting with him so be his friend if you want to. you're grown and can decide who you can hang out with. plus, you seem like a smart gal and i'm sure if you were getting 'those' kind of vibes from him you would make the right decision. girlfriend needs to lighten up - it's not that serious.
like i told you last night, she's totally overreacting, but i do think that there is more to you and R than you're willing to admit. there is a difference between bickering and flirting annnnd you forgot to mention the flower part! i dnt think you like him but, i do think witnessing you two together would give others the impression that one of you likes eachother. i think it's because you're an aries & he's a leo, you guys are a lot alike and you just hit it off even though it's just friendly. okay bye honey bunny. see you tonite.
Wow.
I read that all (I know! I AM amazing, huh? JK) and I don't really see a reason for her to be angry with you at all.
Unless she saw something completely different, it seems like it was blown out of proportion. That's too bad for you, huh? :(
does Ashlee read ur blog? lolol
soooo i think ur gooood!! i wouldnt have treated the situation any differently! that girl is stuck in high school mode! when u grow up, u realize that you can pick and choose your friends... it's not about who's "cool" etc. i mean i could see if it was her ex-boyfriend or something... but it was a make-out sesh! u can't take those personally and clearly she did!! and if she were mature, she too could be friends with doode. like except the fact that they made out adn thats all it was and still be cool with him. it's called being GROWN! bleh, i hate ppl like that.
nope
some folk insecure
just be truthful
and the Mcat
i rember my first year of med school
I don't think you did anything wrong and don't think she has any right to be angry with you. It all pretty much comes down to insecurity and selfishness on her part. I had a friend much like her years ago that would pull that kind of stuff. It was the sort of friendship where I often went away from the experiences together just feeling bad. It took me a long time, but finally one of her stunts totally opened my eyes to the fact that she was truly just someone that I did not want to be friends with. Hopefully your friend will be able to grow up a bit!
I went through a similar situation in the past but that was back in high school lol. So yeah its a lil childish but maybe she sees an undeniable chemistry between you and him that even yall dont see! What it comes down to is that she is insecure and somewhat jealous...but with you two being grown...she should be able to come and talk to you about it. Hopefully yall work it out soon and things become less awkward. In the meantime...ignore it and dont let her ruin ur fun!
p.s. I left you a few comments in the past and decided to make my own blog. Make sure you stop by and check it out sometimes. =)
First off...I love that video by Gnarls Barkley!
The girl is clearly overreacting...You shouldn’t worry about it. Let her deal with her anger or whatever she's dealing with to herself. Keep doing what you do!
Thanks everyone. I think the consensus is Ashlee is totally overreacting. lol. i appreciate all your comments & feedback. and no, she doesn't read my blog :)
Post a Comment